This 1920 Sanborn Insurance map segment shows the relocation site of the white frame church building purchased from the Catholic congregation when the new brick St. Cecilia Church building was constructed. The map labels the structure as the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church. English services replaced Norwegian services in 1923.
View the website of Bethesda Lutheran Church
The Norwegian Lutheran Church is seen from Lincoln Way in this postcard view of St. Cecilia Catholic Church and rectory. The congregation worshipped here at the white frame church until their new brick church home downtown at the corner of 7th and Kellogg was finished.
Bethesda Lutheran Church
buses are to transport Iowa State College students
click to enlarge
These images and the ones on the next page are taken from the Centennial Booklet of Bethesda Lutheran Church, entitled Share the Living Water of Jesus Christ, 1905-2005. Team members who organized and assembled the booklet were Joanne Frederiksen, Centennial Central Committee representative; Melva Berkland, writer/coordinator; Brian Meyer, editor; Kathy Walker, graphic designer; and Irene Pope, proofreader. Some of the text was adapted from articles written by Mary Jane Pearson, Laura Miller and Brian Meyer. Especially helpful were previous histories written in 1945, 1955, 1974, and 1980. Heuss Printing, Inc. is acknowledged for its role in providing the finished publication.