Salvation Army Singers
Unpublished Tribune photo from May 1952
A group of Salvation Army singers bearing ribbons proclaiming FLOOD & FIRE perform in front of the old City Hall at the corner of 5th Street and Kellogg. Mayor William Allan is seen standing at the right of the group in the back row. Because this image was not published, the purpose of the performance and the identity of the participants is not known. Note the popcorn stand visible at the left and the police motorcycle parked in front of the police station located in City Hall (the Youth and Shelter Services building today).
In this view, Mayor Allan is at the microphone. A three-wheeled Ames Police motorcycle is seen.
The house barely visible top photo predated all the other structures pictured. It stood alone on the northwest corner of 5th Street and Kellogg, across from the 1912 Post Office, which was located on the southwest corner of the same intersection. The Jones family lived in this huge house for several generations before it held the Paul R. Jones Sheet Metal Works.
This Tribune photo from 1950 shows the Rainbow Coffee Shop after its move from Main Street to the corner of Fifth and Kellogg. The Ames Chamber of Commerce was located in the adjacent storefront on Kellogg, between the Coffee Shop and the Post Office.